Every time Daddy comes back from a business trip, Ethan and Hannah would eagerly await his return. It is still unclear as to whether they look forward more to seeing him or if they look forward to the goodies he brings back for them.
A few months ago, when he returned from one of his trips, he brought back a board game that Ethan had wanted for the longest time: not the regular Monopoly, mind you…but Cars Monopoly!
It states clearly on the box that the game is to be played by kids 5 years and over only, but because Hannah also wanted to play, we told her she could play only under adult supervision.
Well, fast forward a few months later and now, we can see that it is one of the most-loved board games both Ethan and Hannah enjoy together. Hannah would request that we play with her, and now she understands the rules pretty well.
It’s not just mere entertainment though, this game teaches:
- Taking turns
- Counting (and moving your piece accordingly) – Hannah can now do it independently
- The names of all the Cars 2 characters which are on the board
- Money handling
- How to lose gracefully
- How not to brag when you’re winning (well okay, we’re still working on that)
- Counting out the correct amount of money to buy the particular car parking space – a very good skill to have, in preparation for the future, i.e. buying stuff
- Saying “Please” and “Thank you” where money is exchanged
In short, I have nothing but good things to say about this game, which after all, is proving to be so much more than just that.